Re- Challenges of Environmental Health in Nigeria




Re- Challenges of Environmental Health in Nigeria


One of our readers gave this beautiful response to the article about the challenges of Environmental health in Nigeria. Please, do read and enjoy.

Dear San. Femi Abolade,

I read your article 'Challenges of Environmental Health in Nigeria' and amidst being bowled over at the realization that a fellow sanitarian actually wrote it, I was profoundly glad that the profession still had such rare elements like you Sir.

I couldn't agree less with your highlights Sir - from 'We being the architects of our own misfortunes', to "The negative impacts of the 'Democracy of the day'". However, I beg to differ a bit as regards 'Lack of  Media Presence'. I do not know where you serve or base Sir, but in recent times, with credits to the Environmental Health Officers Association of Nigeria (EHOAN), the Environmental Health Profession had witnessed substantial or should I say reasonable, save for modesty, media inundation which has been attested largely to.

My peers and I like to call ourselves 'The Pacesetters' and future and pride of the profession. We had sat and analysed objectively this subject and we came to conclusions as yours and more Sir. We proceeded to 'try' to identify the root cause - ab initio and prescribing a potential and viable panacea - et semel, et pro omnibus.
Take a guess at our discovery Sir - It begins from admissions into the colleges of health!
I'll to borrow and refer to a popular axiom, 'You reap what you sow'. The colleges of health cannot expect to admit, train and churn out half baked, Ill-mannered, Bad-tempered, Unprofessional, Lukewarm, Charlatans, who are ONLY after fraudulent financial repertoires of the profession, while the profession expects to grow,  it NEVER works so! Those are the seeds sown, their fruits cannot be different Sire! The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree you'll remember Sir.

Our conclusion and 'panacea' Sir - let the colleges of health properly and adequately screen, scrutinise and examine applicants and candidates before finally admitting. This way, even if it's just 20 that a school produces, we can to go to bed assured that the steady progression of the profession is ascertained and the future of the profession is in safe hands, than having a mass production of confused individuals, or sorry - who are called graduates.
You need to go back see the standards debilitated in those schools - THERE, is the Fons et Origo.

I do not just write or complain,  I am a progressive (and NOT the political party), and I seek ways towards salvaging the status quo, and I have been doing my little part.

Sir, Where and How do we go from Here?


It's coincidental that I actually follow in some of your footprints Sir, I so much look forwards to meeting you, there's so much I will learn.

Thank you for your time Sir.


Moses Onaolapo,  Registered and Licensed EHO, Writer, Public Speaker and On-Air-Personality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ethical and Professional Code of Conduct for Environmental Health Practitioners in Nigeria

WOLEWOLE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD: STAND ATTENTION

FG to Give Free New Sets of Uniform to Environmental Health Officers