AKURE THEMATIC LESSONS(1): The Virtue Called Patience



AKURE THEMATIC LESSONS(1): The Virtue Called Patience

Femi Abolade | May 2, 2017


The Virtue Called Patience

No, not the wife of our ex-president, Dame, but a very important virtue needed in life is patience. Being patient can be very rewarding even though it is not very easy.

One of the most difficult thing to do in life is to wait. Waiting! Waiting sometimes can be frustrating and nerve wracking, but often it comes with a reward that brings smile to the face. Patience is not just a passive resignation of fate that what will happen will happen, and taking up a lazy attitude. Patience is a deliberate action to wait with faith after conscious effort have been put into play.

This was one of the lessons I learnt at the just concluded Thematic MCEP training organized for EHOs in Akure, Ondo State. I am sure the lessons will stay with me for the rest of my life. I hope you also learn one thing or two so we may end up smiling in that endeavours of yours.

On the second day of the programme, I had to make some payments in the bank via Remita, and those who have used the platform for payment knows the real meaning of network problem. So, after I confirmed in the Access Bank hall that they accept Remita, I went ahead to fill the tellers.

The Teller, a busty and boisterous young woman with very good and warm manners told me to wait for the man who who do the AUTHORISATION. She explained in a kind manner, that although the man wasn't on seat, he will surely come SOON. Looking at the wall clock, it was a quarter to nine and I felt since she wasn't sure about when the man would come, I can't WAIT.

I told her point blank, that if it were to be some other banks, by now the transaction would have been over. She tried to persuade me but my mind was already made up, because I already had a myriad of activities lined up for the day. I collected my cash and the tellers and stormed out of the bank at about 8:40am.

It was the mistake of the day!

Immediately I left the bank, I went to the bank I felt has good services, but far from the city center. Unfortunately, they had no service for Remita. After going to two more banks that I had assumed would be a sure bet, it was the same disappointing story.

Finally, I decided to return to the same rejected stone. It was around 9.45am when I returned to the banking hall.

Rather than spurn or mock me, the lady Teller just smiled when she saw my face to which I quickly said loudly "I'm back". The queue I met was staggering and as if that was not enough, the Remita network connived and began to move at snail's pace.

I was heartbroken, but had no option but to wait. That little impatience cost me about four hours extra.

Lesson learnt!

Are you jobless, barren, denied of rights and promotions, trying to start a business, or having relationship struggles, put in your best efforts and learn to wait. It will definitely work out for you.

Patience is a virtue that we need at every stage in life. Impatience can cost you life opportunities, and even your life. Like it has been mentioned, it is not a lethargic and lazy folding of the arms, but waiting in hope after faith has been put to work.

God bless you.

Your comments, questions and queries are welcome.



Femi Abolade, licensed EHO, Writer, author and public speaker
femibolade12@gmail.com
+234 8074275257

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ethical and Professional Code of Conduct for Environmental Health Practitioners in Nigeria

WOLEWOLE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD: STAND ATTENTION

FG to Give Free New Sets of Uniform to Environmental Health Officers