Enviropreneurship: My Little Story

             

Enviropreneurship: My Little Story

We have laid the foundation of this topic and I am not too surprised at some of the comments I have seen on its facebook posts. The issue of unemployment in this profession is not a joking matter and I am quite aware of that. Yet, I am convinced beyond reasonable doubt that enviropreneurship is the way to go for our graduates.

If you are yet to read the series one and two of enviropreneurship on this blog, you can read it here:

http://femiabolade.blogspot.com.ng/2017/01/enviropreneurship-future-of.html?m=1

and

http://femiabolade.blogspot.com.ng/2017/01/enviropreneurship-future-starts-here.html?m=1

Below are some of the snapshots of some people's comments on our previous articles on facebook.

   

Before I continue, let me share this little story with you.

     

In 2005, after my 1 year and 4 months ECOMOG in Lagos Island West LCDA, Olowogbowo office, I returned to Ore in Ondo state to face an unprepared future. All through the year I did almost nothing. Towards the end of that year, I remembered there was something called fumigation. After driving my father's liteace bus to hawk bread for several months, the bakery closed down and I had to take responsibility for my life.

What I did next surprised me. I printed business cards and small one-colour handbills, requesting for fumigation, derating and book club services. I began to distribute the cards and handbills to every hotels in the vicinity.


     


But hear this "UP TILL THAT TIME, I KNEW NOTHING ABOUT FUMIGATION AND DERATISATION." In fact I have never operated a knapsack sprayer. There was no one to educate me! No one to encourage me! I was my own motivation.

Out of about 15 hotels that I approached, one called me and we struck a deal. From Ore I went down to Lagos to buy pesticides and stopped over in Ijebu ode to borrow a knapsack sprayer from my friend and roommate. Can you imagine! All in all, the contract to disinfest a 21-room hotel was got and the job done. For #18,000 I mounted the sprayer with my baby sister as attendant, a life-long lesson was learnt. Although I didn't do another job like that, except for some derating, it was a worthwhile experience.

Why this story?

There are problems out there to be solved, all you need to do is seek for it and offer solutions. Hello, the money will come and you will become an employer rather than seeking for the job which may tarry in coming.

In the next article on enviropreneurship, I will be revealing more than six businesses you can do to bring in income for you in this profession. They have been tested and are yielding income for those who do not mind to dirty their hands.

 

Please drop your comments, questions, suggestions and information.





Femi Abolade is a Licensed EHO, Writer, Author and Public Speaker
femibolade12@gmail.com
+234 8074275257




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ethical and Professional Code of Conduct for Environmental Health Practitioners in Nigeria

WOLEWOLE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD: STAND ATTENTION

FG to Give Free New Sets of Uniform to Environmental Health Officers